9.05.2012

Easy as {Apple} Pie

As summer draws to a close each year, I am always itching for fall. There's just something so comforting about the scents, flavors, vibrant leaves, and cozy clothes that I can't get enough of. And with our baby girl on the way and living in a new place surrounded by trees, I am more eager than ever this year! I thought it was a bit early to be dreaming of fall, but since the pumpkin spice latte is back at Starbucks (I had one yesterday, decaf of course), I think it's time to share some of my favorite fall recipes!

I love baking in general, but making pie is has a special place in my heart. Both of my grandmothers let us "help" bake when we were little. I have a picture with my grandma (mom's mom) making apple pie. I'm about 4 years old, standing on a step stool...probably observing more than helping.

My grannie (dad's mom) always makes her famous pie crust in the cute little bowl pictured below. One year for Christmas, she gave my sisters and I each one so we can do the same. And last year, my grannie gave us each rolling pins that are made from a huge tree in her yard that we used to climb. What an awesome gift, right?!

Ingredients
6 c thinly sliced, peeled Granny Smith apples
1 T lemon juice
3/4 c sugar
2 T all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 deg.
Sprinkle apples with lemon juice.


In a medium bowl, toss together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.


Pour over apple slices and gently toss.

Prepare pastry crust.
The recipe I use is my Grannie's, and I'm not sure I can give it away.
You an find tons of crust recipes online though.


Roll the crust between two piece of wax paper to prevent sticking.
(Don't worry if your crust doesn't come out perfectly shaped when you roll it - you can fix it later.)


Next, place the pie pan upside down over the crust and flip it over.
Trim up the edges and pinch them to make an edge.
Then, spoon in the coated apples.


There are several variations you can do for the top crust - a full crust or lattice.
I like to make a crumb topping.
Mix equal parts of flour and brown sugar (1/2 c each) and cut in 3 Tbs butter with a knife.
Sprinkle it over the top.


Bake for 40 minutes until apples are tender and juicy (the sauce will bubble a bit)!
Serve warm (with a scoop of vanilla ice cream) and enjoy!

What are your favorite fall recipes?
+, Lauren Aiken







No comments:

Post a Comment